0

On-loan Liverpool star will become a ‘hero’, claims team-mate

first_imgAC Milan defender Ignazio Abate says on loan Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli will be a “hero” at the San Siro.Balotelli returned to Milan after a hapless season at Anfield and looks likely to make a permanent move back to his homeland at the end of the 2015-16 campaign.The striker made his second debut for the Serie A giants in Sunday’s Milan derby but couldn’t prevent his side from a defeat against their city rivals.Abate praised Balotelli’s attitude since his arrival and wants the 25-year-old to extend his stay in Italy.“Mario has been great in training and he played well in the derby,” Abate told Milan Channel.“I’m sure that from here to the end he will be our hero, although he shouldn’t be burdened with too many responsibilities.“He must be able to find continuity, something that has been lacking so far in his career.” Mario Balotelli 1last_img read more

0

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed who will be key to leading Manchester United to the title

first_imgSir Alex Ferguson thinks Manchester United could win the title now that David de Gea has committed his future to the club.De Gea was on the verge of completing a deadline day move to Real Madrid, but the transfer fell through because the relevant paperwork was not submitted in time.Soon after the deal fell through, De Gea signed a new four-year contract at Old Trafford and Ferguson believes that could prove to be a huge fillip to United’s title chances.“I think De Gea can actually win us the league,” he said.Ferguson spoke about a wide variety of topics during an hour-long interview in front of an audience of around 2,000 people at Bridgewater Hall in Manchester on Friday night.The Scot recounted stories in his new book ‘Leading’, which came out on Tuesday, and there was also an upbeat assessment about United’s chances of success under current manager Louis van Gaal.“We are second in the league,” said Ferguson, who won the title 13 times during his 26-year stewardship at Old Trafford.“We are in a good position because, (leaders Manchester) City hadn’t lost a game until last week and then United won at Southampton and the whole thing changes round.“Chelsea have lost a couple of games, Arsenal have lost a game, if you are there around New Year’s Day then they will have a good chance.”Ferguson also thinks the signing of Anthony Martial could help boost United’s chances of lifting the Premier League come May.United were criticised for paying £36million for the relatively unknown Frenchman on deadline day, but he has bagged four goals in his first four games.“The boy Martial, he could be anybody (he wants),” Ferguson said.“He doesn’t panic, the ball goes into him but he doesn’t panic, that’s a great asset. I don’t think you can teach that.”Van Gaal has said he will hand the reins over to his assistant Ryan Giggs when his contract expires in 2017, but Ferguson wonders if the Dutchman might reconsider his decision, just like he did in 2002.“You never know what Louis will do. When you get the bug it’s hard to leave,” Ferguson said with a smile.Ferguson believes Giggs is serving the perfect apprenticeship under the current United manager.“Ryan is getting experience under Van Gaal and he did under David Moyes, so I think his learning process is very good,” he added.“People have said it might be better for him to leave but I am not so sure about that.” 1 Sir Alex Ferguson last_img read more

0

Two submit papers in Montebello recall election

first_imgMONTEBELLO – Two individuals filed nomination papers Thursday in the council recall election of Councilman Jeff Siccama, the city clerk’s office announced. Leo Rodriguez and Mary Anne Saucedo’s papers have been submitted to the Los Angeles County Registrar’s office for verification, said Debbie Kasoroff, deputy city clerk. Rodriguez is running in the November 6 council election and Saucedo is a former councilmember. The recall election is Dec. 18. 165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas Citylast_img read more

0

Man accused in love triangle stabbing

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Police said that the suspect may have been waiting for his victim to arrive at work. For the latest news and observations on crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! NORTHRIDGE – A man is accused of trying to stab to death the current boyfriend of a woman with whom the attacker had a child, police said this morning. Ralph Adriano, a 21-year-old messenger from Panorama City, was arrested about 7:30 last night in the 8600 block of Sunland Boulevard in connection with the stabbing of a man yesterday morning in the parking lot of a Target store before the store opened, police said. He was being held on an attempted murder charge at the Los Angeles County Jail with bail set at $1 million. Police got a call of the stabbing at the store at 5:45 yesterday morning off Nordhoff Street and Balboa Boulevard, police said. Neither the identity nor the condition of the man who was stabbed were available. The victim was taken to Northridge Hospital Medical Center where he was treated for more than one stab wound, police said. The wounds were not life-threatening.last_img read more

0

Death Row baby lands cops in jail

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Nguyen Thi Oanh, now 40, was sentenced to death in 2005 for drug trafficking, but her sentence was reduced to life in prison after she became pregnant in 2006. The death sentence will not be reapplied when Oanh’s son – who lives with her in prison – turns 3. Thuyen and Quyet confessed that they had accepted a bribe of $92 from Oanh’s family to let the male inmate make five unsupervised visits to her cell, Linh said. For news and observations about crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! HANOI, Vietnam – Two Vietnamese police officers have been imprisoned for helping a woman on Death Row become pregnant so she would not have to face the firing squad, a court official said Thursday. The policemen in Hoa Binh province were found guilty of allowing the woman to have sex with a male inmate so that she could take advantage of a Vietnamese law that says pregnant women and mothers of children under 3 cannot be put to death. The two officers were convicted of abusing power while on duty, said court official Hoang Thuy Linh. Nguyen Thuyen, 31, was sentenced to five years in prison, while Bui Van Quyet, 23, was sentenced to three and a half years. “It was the most unusual case I have ever seen,” Linh said. “Many people came to the trial out of curiosity, just to see what the woman and her baby looked like.” last_img read more

0

BUNCRANA TAKES FIRST STEPS TOWARDS CYCLING & WALKING TOURISM

first_imgBUNCRANA has taken the first steps towards setting up cycling and walking routes – and bring more tourists to Inishowen.Cllr. Mary Kelly has welcomed funding for the compilation of a strategy document for the initiative.Buncrana Cycling and Walking group has been informed funding had been approved for a strategy document to be prepared, a study which will provide direction to the group in the areas of cycling and walking in Buncrana and its environment This document will be a requirement to apply for future funding to programmes such as the Smarter Travel Programme.Funding has been approved by Inishowen Development Partnership.Earlier this year Buncrana Town Council agreed to part fund this project and we would like to thank them both for their support.Buncrana cycling and walking group was set up over a year ago to promote and plan walking and cycling in this area. Said Cllr Kelly: “Cycling and walking are of great importance not only for local residents but for tourism. Other areas have introduced cycling and walking projects and the success of these are to be seen around Ireland.”© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldaily Sell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.comBUNCRANA TAKES FIRST STEPS TOWARDS CYCLING & WALKING TOURISM was last modified: November 13th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:buncranacycling routeslast_img read more

0

CHRISTMAS STARTS EARLY AS SHOPS REPORT UPTURN IN SALES

first_imgBOOMING: Letterkenny is thriving this ChristmasChristmas has arrived early in Donegal with shoppers deciding to plan ahead and spend now, according to Letterkenny Chamber boss Toni Forrester.Ms Forrester told Donegal Daily that all indications are that the retail sector is ahead of schedule with four weeks left to December 25th.She said the strength of sterling and the variety of shops in Letterkenny means the town is now attracting by local and cross-border shoppers. “People have definitely gone out and started early. A lot of people already have their Christmas shopping done.“That is great news for traders and hopefully people will continue to spend as much as they can.“We appreciate Christmas is a tough time for many people but any money that is spent locally stays locally because it supports local jobs,” she said.Letterkenny Chamber Chief Executive Toni ForresterShe added that people no longer need to flock across the border to shop. And with many shops offering up to €1.29 on sterling, shoppers are now coming from the opposite side of the border.“That trend has stopped because you have both value and variety now in Letterkenny and other towns across Donegal.“With the price of fuel, the strength of sterling and the variety here, there is really no need to go across the border,” she said.The real countdown to Christmas starts this Friday at when Santa arrives in the Cathedral Town for the annual switching on of the Christmas lights from 5pm onwards.Traders have got into the festive spirit and will be giving out everything form mulled wine to mince pies on the town’s Main Street. “It’s going to be a great occasion and we’re hoping it will officially kick-off the Christmas cheer,” added Ms Forrester.And for those of you stuck for s Christmas present idea, there is always the Shop LK voucher scheme which are accepted in dozens of shops across the town.CHRISTMAS STARTS EARLY AS SHOPS REPORT UPTURN IN SALES was last modified: November 27th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:CHristmasLetterkenny ChamberToni Forresterlast_img read more

0

This list of players should give City’s title rivals sleepless nights

first_img 2. Axel Witsel: Zenit man to bolster the middle? – Witsel is the most recent name on Guardiola’s rumoured shortlist. The 27-year-old Belgium midfielder has been at Zenit since 2012 and can play throughout the midfield whether it be a defensive role, in a central position or joining the attack. 4. Marc-Andre ter Stegen: An upgrade on Hart? – As reported on talksport.com, Barca may let their goalkeeper leave on loan, with Liverpool also in the hunt. The 23-year-old is unhappy at his lack of games and said he will need to discuss his future with Barcelona if the situation doesn’t change. Joe Hart has had a good season, though. 9 9. Ross Barkley: Top England attacker on the radar – Another midfielder? There is a theme developing here and Barkley is one of England’s brightest prospects as well as another Everton player on the shortlist. 9 5. Aymeric Laporte: City among many clubs keen on Bilbao ace – City are also in the hunt for £37m-rated defender Laporte along with Barcelona. However, the 21-year-old Frenchman is facing around four months on the sidelines having fractured his ankle, but will no doubt be assessed in pre-season when he is regaining his match fitness. There is an alternative… 9 9 9 9 1. Paul Pogba: Juventus and France midfielder top of Guardiola’s wishlist? Click the arrow above, right, to see the other big-name players linked with Man City – Since it was announced Pep Guardiola would take over from Manuel Pellegrini at Man City, a number of high profile names have been linked with the club. Here, talkSPORT looks at them, starting with Juve ace Pogba. It is said Guardiola wants to make the 23-year-old’s signing a priority and could cost around £75m. Or could City give the Italian club Yaya Toure to sweeten the deal? 9 9 6. John Stones to leave Everton and play under Guardiola? – With Laporte injured and Martin Demichelis leaving when his contract expires in the summer, City are one of many big clubs linked with Stones. Man United, Chelsea and Barcelona are all said to be watching the Everton stopper, who was the subject of a £40m bid from Chelsea last summer. Since it was announced Pep Guardiola would take over from Manuel Pellegrini at Man City, a number of high profile names have been linked with the club.Here, talkSPORT looks at them.Going in the opposite direction, though, is likely to be Yaya Toure. His agent is reportedly keen to open talks with a string of European clubs including Juventus, PSG and Bayern Munich about the possibility of joining them in the summer.Meanwhile, it is said Bayern striker Robert Lewandowski – one name linked with City – will sign a new contract at the Bundesliga club meaning the new boss may have to look elsewhere for a new man up top. 3. Toni Kroos: Guardiola wanted to build a team around him at Bayern – Guardiola really didn’t want to lose Kroos when he was at Bayern, but the midfielder was sold to Real Madrid for £25m in 2014. With rumours of some unhappiness on his part in Spain, it was only natural his name would be linked with the new era at City. 8. Thiago Alcantara: He followed Guardiola once… – Alcantara was the player Guardiola really wanted when he took over at Bayern in 2013 and now the manager is off to City, the 24-year-old has been tipped to follow. However, he says there is no truth in rumours he will leave the German club for City, while is being reported he will cost at least £25m having signed an extension to his contract, which keeps him in Munich until 2019. 7. Ilkay Gundogan: Dortmund midfielder’s agent was meeting the City hierarchy – Man City director of football Txiki Begiristain was pictured last month meeting Gundogan’s uncle in Amsterdam, who is also his agent. The player has denied claims a deal is in place to move to the Premier League and any move will be seen as a gamble by some considering his problems with injury in the last few years. This season Gundogan has played 23 Bundesliga games, but missed the last four games as a result of a foot injury. 9last_img read more

0

While rivals chase £100m Pogba, have Leicester just found themselves Kante MkII?

first_img1 Leicester City have signed midfielder Nampalys Mendy from Nice for an undisclosed fee on a four-year contract, making him the Premier League champions’ third acquisition of the summer.The 24-year-old Frenchman played for Foxes manager Claudio Ranieri when the Italian led Monaco to promotion in 2013, and joins goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zielerand defender Luis Hernandez in signing for Leicester.“I know the coach, I know his mentality and I know his philosophy,” said Mendy. “When he speaks it’s direct and clear and for me I like this.”Mendy was an ever present for Nice in Ligue 1 and played five times for France Under-21s, but is yet to make an appearance for the senior French team.last_img read more

1 2 3 23