0

PPP picket Social Cohesion Minister in Berbice

first_img…during Rosehall Martyrs anniversaryMembers of the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) on Tuesday picketed Social Cohesion Minister, Dr George Norton as he arrived to officiate in a ceremony to commemorate the 105th anniversary of the 15 Rose Hall martyrs.The PPP had vowed to protest every Government Minister that goes to Region Six after President David Granger appointed retired High Court Judge, Justice James Patterson, 84, as the new Chairman of the Guyana Elections Commission – an appointment which the Opposition did not support and called on the President toSome of the protesters on Tuesdaysquash.On Tuesday, Minister Norton went to commemorate the 105th anniversary of the Rose Hall Martyrs, but he was greeted by protecters.The Party’s regional representative, Zamal Hussain, said the Party is not against the ceremony, which honoured workers who paid the ultimate sacrifice for the betterment of the industry.“What led to this is that we are concerned about the rights of sugar workers because this activity here is based on martyrs; those who died to ensure that the right of sugar workers are upheld. So we are here to ensure that the rights of these sugar workers who are laid off are treated with respect,” Hussain said.About 30 sacked sugar workers and their families held placards as the Minister made his way into the monument site at Rose Hall, East Canje.According to Hussain, one of the burning issues is the need for jobs for those in the sugar belt. He noted that hundreds who previously worked with the sugar estate and now jobless.He said Government needs to provide a subsidy for the sacked workers. “The severed sugar workers must be given subsidised water and electricity due to theProtesters with their placardstremendous hardships they and their families have been facing. At this point in time, it is difficult for them to provide even the basic need of food for themselves and their families.”He also noted that the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) of Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne) recently passed a motion for the Government to provide transportation for the children of the sacked workers to attend school while adding that the Party is also calling on Government to create avenues where the formers could be re-employed.The protesters feel Minister Norton could have made his visit more meaningful had he paid more attention to those who are currently being affected.The new arrangement which sees pensioners receiving their pension through the bank was also highlighted. The party official noted that it is an additional cost for them to travel to the banks; all of which are situated in New Amsterdam. “If they are paid at the estate office they could ride a bicycle or walk and go for it and save the car fare.”Meanwhile, the monument where the wreath-laying took place was erected in 2014 and was conceptualised and designed by the National Trust.In an effort to secure a better life on the sugar plantation, labourers on the Rose Hall Estate protested the retraction of a four-day holiday awarded to them for a good grinding season. They, therefore, refused an order from the Plantation Manager, Mr Smith, to plant cane on those days. This led to a formal complaint to the immigration officer. In exchange for the charges levied against them to be dropped, Mr Smith demanded that they pay the legal cost. The labourers offered to pay in instalments, but management refused and the case went to the Magistrate’s Court on February 7, 1913.Hundreds of immigrant labourers filled the Reliance Magistrate’s Court where the men were found guilty of instigating resistance to work. The workers protested the verdict and management threatened to transfer the protesting families to distant plantations. The threat caused the workers to raise the level of their protest. Warrants were issued for the leaders and on March 13, 1913, the Police attempted to execute the warrants. The workers resisted, and the Police opened fire injuring 56 persons and killing 15.last_img read more

0

West Ham sack manager Slaven Bilic

first_imgBilic, who also played for West Ham, is the fourth Premier League managerial casualty of the season following the departures of Crystal Palace boss Frank de Boer, Leicester manager Craig Shakespeare and Everton’s Ronald Koeman.“West Ham United can confirm that Slaven Bilic has today left his position with the club,” the Hammers said in a statement.The club hierarchy “believe a change is now necessary in order for the club to move forward positively and in line with their ambition”, the statement added.West Ham said an announcement on a new manager is due to be made over the coming days, with former Everton and Manchester United boss Moyes widely expected to take over.Speaking to reporters as he left West Ham’s training ground, Bilic said: “I expected it. There are no hard feelings. I can be very proud of my work here.“We didn’t start this crucial season well. As in many clubs across Europe, the manager is the one who pays the price. It’s a very logical move. The fans were brilliant to me from the start until the end.”Co-chairmen David Gold and David Sullivan said the decision to axe Bilic had been made with “heavy hearts”.The pair praised Bilic for his role in the move from Upton Park to the former Olympic Stadium, particularly the concluding win over Manchester United in the final home game of the 2015-16 campaign, which helped to earn a seventh-placed finish in his first season in charge.– Summer signings –“During the summer, the board invested heavily, signing the players Slaven believed would complete the squad he needed to push the club back towards the level we had reached in his first season, and we believe we have the players capable of doing that,” they said.“Sadly, performances and results have not been of the expected standard and, in recent weeks, we have not seen enough indication of the required improvement to give us the encouragement that things would change and we would meet our Premier League aspirations this season.”“We see this as an exciting opportunity to appoint a quality manager to the position to inject fresh ideas, organisation and enthusiasm into a very talented squad,” they added.West Ham have just two wins from 11 Premier League games, leaving them languishing above just bottom club Crystal Palace and Swansea.The only bright spot in recent weeks was a notable victory against Tottenham at Wembley, when they came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2.In his first season in charge, 2015-16, Bilic secured an impressive seventh-placed finish for West Ham, while last season they ended up in 11th spot.Bilic’s assistants Nikola Jurcevic, Edin Terzic, Julian Dicks and Miljenko Rak have also left the club with immediate effect.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000West Ham manager Slaven Bilic, pictured in October 2017, acknowledged the team’s loss to Liverpool on November 4, their second consecutive defeat at home, puts him in a precarious positionLondon, United Kingdom, Nov 6- West Ham sacked manager Slaven Bilic on Monday after a poor run of results that have left the club languishing in the Premier League’s relegation zone, with David Moyes the favourite replace him.The club announced the departure of the Croatian, appointed in June 2015, following a chastening 4-1 loss to Liverpool at the London Stadium on Saturday that leaves them 18th in the table and facing a fight for Premier League survival.last_img read more