0

Conference discusses diversity

first_imgThe Mendoza College of Business kicks off its fifth-annual diversity conference this weekend in hopes of exploring diversity found in the workplace. Graduate student Jay Xie, co-chair of the conference, said the event is geared toward building awareness of diversity both on campus and in the business world. “We want to look at what diversity means in the global environment,” Xie said. “With the information and technology we have, the market is moving at a quick rate and organizations have to make decisions quickly. We want to see how diversity plays a part in these decisions.” Several companies will participate this weekend, including Ernst & Young, Coca-Cola, Bank of America and Deloitte. “Diversity is a really important issue for the participating companies,” Xie said. “A lot of these companies want to talk about the success and challenges they face by working with a diverse employee base.” Xie said the conference would allow these companies to strengthen their connection with Notre Dame students. “They are coming here to hopefully establish a deeper relationship with us,” he said. “A lot of these companies are actively recruiting or considering recruiting on campus.” Based on the success of the conference in its previous four years, Xie said he hopes it continues to generate dialogue among professionals, faculty and students. “We want a wide array of people to be able to share their experiences,” he said. “But I think the ones that will get the most out of it will be students.” Xie said the conference would help Notre Dame students understand the benefits of employees and co-workers from a multitude of backgrounds. “I think students would take away from this conference a greater appreciation for what diversity offers in the workplace,” he said. Although the diversity conference is hosted by the College of Business, Xie said the event is designed for students of all majors. “The undergraduate population can get the most from this conference,” he said. “I think when these conferences pop up, they are really good opportunities for all students to learn from the experts, build up their network and find opportunities.” The conference will commence Friday at 1 p.m. in the Mendoza College of Business and a closing address will be held Saturday at 3:15 in the Jordan Auditorium of the College.last_img read more

0

Reward Increased to Find Orphaned Baby Andrew

first_imgInvestigators have increased the reward for the safe return of a missing baby from South Florida to $8,000.Andrew Caballeiro has been missing since Jan. 28 when he entire family was shot and killed.Baby Andrew vanished after a triple murder at a home in Miami-Dade last month.Police believe the father of the 12-day-old boy, Ernesto Caballeiro, kidnapped the infant and killed his mother, grandmother and great grandmother.Police found Mr. Caballeiro dead from a self-inflicted gunshot one day after the kidnapping.#UPDATE: Thanks to assistance from the @FLSheriffs Criminal Apprehension Assistance Program and @CrimeStopper305, the reward on this case has increased to up to $8,000. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is requested to call 9-1-1 or (305) 471-8477 IMMEDIATELY. pic.twitter.com/Fj3btAM2Qx— Miami-Dade Police (@MiamiDadePD) February 19, 2020last_img read more

0

Tornadoes strike Charles City, Elma, Lime Springs (PHOTOS, VIDEO)

first_imgTwo videos below showing damage around the Floyd County Fairgrounds area by Kayci Klobassa CHARLES CITY (RADIO IOWA) — Clean-up is underway in Charles City after a tornado tore through the fairgrounds and damaged homes in the area early Monday afternoon.Floyd County Fair Board President Amy Staudt was there as the twister tore through the complex.“Literally, like people have said before, it sounds like a train coming,” Staudt said. “I thought the noise was too big and I popped my head out and glass started shattering. We lost a couple of windows up top out of the cupola area and I thought that was the worst of it when it passed, then I looked out the window…and half the buildings are leveled out here.”Volunteers arrived to deal with the damage as soon as the storm moved out, but Staudt is wary of having people working in some of the buildings on the fairgrounds.“We’ve got to make sure they’re structurally safe to be in because they’re twisted,” Staudt said. “That’s my main concern. The ones that are standing — are they safe to be in right now? We’ll meet with the adjusters and have some contractors out here and just double-check all safety issues.”The twister tracked to the north and east and nearly missed Charles City, according to Floyd Emergency Management Director Lezlie Weber.“There is one housing development that got hit,” Weber said. “Almost all the damaged houses have been contacted and we know of no injuries or fatalities. We just want people to stay out of the area for right now.”Weber said it’s too early to discuss damage estimates, but there’s an emergency operations center at the Floyd County Courthouse where citizens can report damage.“Get as many pictures as they can of everything, just in case, and then here probably after a while we’ll have some volunteers calling people that need help cleaning up and get some people out there to help clean up their yards,” Weber said.Another tornado touched down northeast of Elma shortly after the first tornado. It tracked through Chickasaw and Howard Counties before leaving a path of damaged homes, roofs and downed power lines in Lime Springs, where house-to-house searches begun in mid-afternoon Monday.last_img read more

0

Zidane says pursuit of history galvanises Real Madrid

first_img0Shares0000Zinedine Zidane said on Monday that Real will try to score quickly against Bayern © AFP / GABRIEL BOUYSMADRID, Spain, Apr 30 – The possibility of reaching a third straight Champions League final is “galvanising” Real Madrid for their semi-final second leg against Bayern Munich, Zinedine Zidane told a press conference on Monday.“It’s an extra motivation,” the Real Madrid coach said. “What drives this club is to try to do the maximum, all of us, to regret nothing,” he said.Real is at home on Tuesday and leads 2-1 after the away leg.“If we execute well with desire and motivation we have a great chance of reaching our objective.”Sergio Ramos, the Real captain, added that the chance to play in a third final was “reward for all our work, our perseverance”.“We are making seem easy what is practically impossible. No one has won two in a row,” he said, which hasn’t happened since 1990, before the competition was enlarged switched a to a group format. “What motivates us, is to keep breaking records and winning titles.“One of the strengths of Real is that opponents are not all the same and we study them carefully to learn how to hurt them,” Ramos explained.“At 1-1 in the first leg, Bayern had to chase a victory and we knew we could do damage on the conter-attack. We would have liked to score more, but the result was good. The scenario tomorrow is very similar, the other team must overcome a bad result and we will try to exploit that. I hope we stay committed in defence.”While Ramos, the defender, emphasised defence, his boss talked of attack.“The key is to try to win the match,” Zidane said. “Not to retreat and not to do anything stupid. We must try to score quickly.“Bayern will not be worried,” he said. “They will come to play without inhibitions. We must be ready.– ‘We have not won anything yet’ –While Real are still chasing the Champions League, their chief Spanish rival, Barcelona, completed the Spanish domestic double on Sunday, clinching the league title to go with their cup victory.Sergio Ramos and Zidane were asked which achievement was greater.“Barcelona deserved to be a champion, we have to congratulate them, nothing more,” said Zidane. “We have not won anything yet, they have won two trophies and have had a great season. We do not minimise what they have done, but what interests us is what we’re going to do.”Ramos could not resist a dig.“Barca have done the double and that’s a good year for them,” he said. “But winning the Champions League, that’s worth two titles, maybe more.”Against Leganes on Saturday, Zidane coached his 200th match (57 with Real’s reserves and 143 in charge of the club).He was asked how has he improved.“Of course I have a little more experience, but experience of big moments, because I experienced them last year,” he said. “There are tons of coaches more competent than I am. But I have experience of being there and of the changing room.”Ramos said he had no choice but to sound as if he was giving in to flattery.“The results speak for themselves,” he said. “He is a great coach, we are proud that he is captaining this ship.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

0

US sanctions force Nike to drop Iran boot deal

first_img0Shares0000Members of Iran’s World Cup team train outside Moscow © AFP / Alexander NEMENOVNEW YORK, United States, Jun 11 – US sporting goods giant Nike confirmed Monday it had stopped supplying Iran’s football team with boots ahead of the World Cup due to sanctions.A statement from Nike said the company was forbidden from supplying kit to the Iranian team as it prepares for its opening World Cup game. “US sanctions mean that, as a US company, Nike cannot supply shoes to players in the Iranian National team at this time,” Nike said.“Sanctions applicable to NIKE have been in place for many years and are enforceable by law.”An ESPN report from Moscow said the Nike decision had left Iranian football officials baffled, noting that the US company had supplied the team at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil when similar sanctions were in effect.Iran coach Carlos Queiroz expressed frustration at the decision.“Players get used to their sports equipment, and it’s not right to change them a week before such important matches,” ESPN quoted Queiroz as saying.The ESPN report said Iran’s players had responded to the decision by asking non-Iranian players on their club teams to loan them boots, while others had bought their own from stores.The Nike moves comes at a time of tense relations between Washington and Tehran, with President Donald Trump last month pulling out of the 2015 Iran nuclear agreement and re-imposing sanctions it had previously waived.Iran kick off their World Cup campaign on Friday with a Group B clash against Morocco.Queiroz’s side also face Spain and Portugal in the first phase.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more