0

Student Senate approves secretary, discusses residential life

first_imgThe Senate met Wednesday evening to approve sophomore Mae Raab as the new Student Union secretary for the remainder of the 2015-2016 school year and discuss recent announcements regarding housing changes.Student body president Bryan Ricketts nominated Raab for the position, citing her commitments to the Green Dot initiative and to fostering a “a safe and inclusive campus for all,” as a valuable addition to the administration. Raab will take the place of former secretary, sophomore Sibonay Shewit, who replaced senior Daniel Selhorst as student body chief of staff.“Mae’s communications will be an asset as she crafts the minutes for our various committees, but more importantly, she is in it for the team and values the interpersonal relationships that she is able to build wherever she goes,” Ricketts read from his letter, addressing the Senate.“I trust she will ably lend her skills to catalyze change on behalf of the student body,” Ricketts said.Raab previously served on the residential life and gender issues committees, where her efforts aided in the completion of Dorm Week and the It’s On Us campaign launch.Following the approval of Raab’s nomination, sophomore Rebecca Blais, director of internal affairs, resigned from her position, stating that her goals for the semester come into conflict with a stipulation of the Student Union Constitution that states, “Election Committee members may not campaign for any ticket while holding this position.”In a statement, Blais said, “One of the duties of Director of Internal Affairs is to serve as a non-voting member of the Election Committee; therefore, in respect of the duties of my position and the Constitution of the Undergraduate Student Body, I am formally resigning my position on Cabinet in order to pursue a position in the next term of Student Government.”Members of Senate proceeded to successfully vote on closing the previous semester’s discussion of Diversity Council leadership in order to move forward with other agenda items. The Diversity Council leadership had chosen not to attend the Senate meeting, according to Nidia Ruelas, student body vice president.“We will be talking to Diversity Council about moving forward, … talking and working through issues, in terms of discussion about what it means to be in leadership and the kinds of responsibilities that exist,” Ruelas said.The Senate proceeded to discuss recent announcements about future adjustments to housing, exchanging questions and giving feedback. Zahm House senator and sophomore John Julien addressed the rumors of removing common rooms from five-man rooms, which are often used as spaces for social gatherings, in order to accommodate overcrowding.Julien and sophomore Wilson Barrett, the Keenan Hall senator, raised concerns about the impacts such actions would have on tight-knit dorm communities. Others expressed worries about effectively targeting overcrowding in dorms and the lack of transparency in the announcement of the temporary dorm movements.Pangborn Hall is currently planning an open house for the residents of Walsh Hall, Badin Hall, and Morrissey Manor, according to Pangborn Hall Senator and sophomore Taylor Still.Tags: Bryan Ricketts, Nidia Ruelas, student senatelast_img read more

0

NU, Muhammadiyah call for postponement of regional elections over COVID-19 concerns

first_imgRead also: Group files lawsuit demanding KPU, Bawaslu postpone Medan elections“For the sake of the nation’s safety and proper implementation [of the regional elections], the KPU should postpone the 2020 elections until the situation has improved.”Muhammadiyah also urged members of the public to practice discipline and abide by the government’s COVID-19 protocols, as well as to refrain from producing and/or disseminating false information regarding the current state of affairs so as to prevent any conflicts.“We urge every member of Muhammadiyah to comply with the central board’s instructions in regard to religious, social and education affairs, as well as other public activities,” the organization said.The two prominent Muslim organizations also advised the public against participating in Idul Fitri mudik (exodus) earlier this year over COVID-19 concerns.It was previously reported that the government was set to draft a regulation to restrict mass gatherings during the upcoming regional elections in an effort to prevent COVID-19 transmission.Home Minister Tito Karnavian said he would propose either a revision to the existing KPU regulation or a specific government regulation in lieu of law (Perppu) for the matter.Tito emphasized that COVID-19 health protocols had to be enforced not only on voting day but at all stages of the electoral process, including during campaign events. Indonesia’s largest Muslim organizations, Nahdlatul Ulama (NU) and Muhammadiyah, have urged the government to consider delaying the upcoming regional elections amid heightened concerns over the COVID-19 crisis.As reported on NU’s official website, the organization has called on the General Elections Commission (KPU), the government and the House of Representatives to postpone the major political event, set to take place on Dec. 9, until the health crisis has abated.“Crowds are inevitable, regardless of stricter health protocols,” the organization said in a statement on Sunday. Topics :center_img Furthermore, NU said postponement was a sensible call considering the public’s penchant for festive mass campaigns ahead of the elections, which would only increase the risk of coronavirus contagion among the public.“NU suggests that the government reallocate the elections budget to the [mitigation] of the health crisis and its real social impact on society,” the statement read.Similarly, Muhammadiyah said in a statement on Monday that public health and safety should remain the top priority during the present emergency, given that coronavirus cases had continued to mount across the country.“Regarding the 2020 elections, the central board of Muhammadiyah calls on the KPU to specifically reconsider […] the elections and campaign rules that entail the gathering of many people,” the statement, signed by chairperson Haedar Nashir and general secretary Abdul Mu’ti read, emphasizing that the KPU should coordinate with the Home Ministry, the House and other related departments regarding the issue.last_img read more

0

Ian Wright hails ‘unbelievable’ Gareth Bale’s looming return to Spurs and rates top-four chances

first_imgIan Wright hails ‘unbelievable’ Gareth Bale’s looming return to Spurs and rates top-four chances Advertisement Advertisement The Welshman is set to return to north London on loan (Pictures: Premier League Productions / Getty)Ian Wright is confident Gareth Bale is still a top-level talent who can catapult Tottenham Hotspur into the top four this season, backing his looming return to the club to be a big success.Spurs are closing in on a stunning agreement with Real Madrid which will see the Welshman – once the world’s most expensive player – return to north London on loan, while teammate Sergio Reguilon is also on the verge of completing a permanent move too.Although there are question marks over Bale’s displays for Real last season and his age, Wright believes he is worth an extra 20 points per season for Spurs if he stays fit. Bale left Spurs seven years ago to join Real for a then world-record fee (Picture: Getty)‘His ability is undoubted and the Spurs fans should be excited, simply because of the lift it will give them. It’s no different to what [Arsenal] have got with our talisman Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.‘He was their main man and if he comes back and has any kind of impact like that, it’s not only going to give the fans a lift but the dressing room. I think it’s a dressing room that needs a lift as well. For him to come in, it will give the kind of boost that Tottenham really need at this stage of the season.’Asked where Spurs will finish the season, he added: ‘One place below Arsenal! No, with Gareth Bale on form they can easily get in the top four.’MORE: Dimitar Berbatov claims Gareth Bale would give Tottenham the Premier League’s best attackMORE: Gareth Bale’s agent reveals Real Madrid star’s conversation with Jose Mourinho over Tottenham transferFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page.center_img Metro Sport ReporterThursday 17 Sep 2020 2:07 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link4.5kShares Comment Bale only netted two La Liga goals last season after being sidelined by Zidane (Picture: Getty)‘You have to say, if he can modify his game and play in that area up with the top three, him, Heung-min Son and Harry Kane – which sounds fantastic – then it’s going to be an unbelievable signing,’ Wright told Premier League Productions.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘You’re talking about somebody who is easily worth 15 or 20 goals, and how many points? 20 odd points? What’s that going to do for Spurs? Definitely going to be in the top four and challenging.‘And if you’re talking about the defence, with Reguilon and Matt Doherty, with that thrust that they’ve got – that’s what Harry Kane was missing.’Asked if there should be any worries over Bale’s intensity levels having played so little, Wright continued: ‘There has to be question marks. What people can’t get carried away with is: you’re not getting the Bale that left, obviously. You’re getting an older Bale, a more experienced Bale, but we’re still talking about a world-class Bale.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal‘If he can come back and get anywhere near what he used to do – though you’re not expecting him to hit that form – but at 31 if he can do anything there it’s going to be exciting for Tottenham.‘The amount of goals he’s scored that were winning goals for Spurs, the amount of games he won on his own for Spurs. When he left, at the time, for me he was easily one of the best players in the world.last_img read more

0

Coaching kills USC in loss to Utah

first_imgThe USC football team was finally exposed Saturday night. A team that has been defined thus far by playing “not-to-lose” against quality opponents, lost. With only four games left in the season, it might be a wise time for the coaching staff to reexamine their offensive philosophy.The fourth quarter followed what has become a predictable pattern. USC gets the ball. They have a couple of good offensive plays and drive into opponents’ territory. Then, for some inexplicable reason, they bleed the clock instead of running any semblance of their normal offense.I assume the rationale behind this is to leave as little time as possible on the clock for the opponents. That would summarize the not-to-lose mentality that has marked this team. The problem with this is it gives the opponent the ability to dictate the outcome of the game.Sometimes probability and luck will prevail like it did against Arizona and Stanford. Most good schools, however, will seize the opportunity, take the ball, march down the field and score. I know this is what good teams do because I grew up watching a USC dynasty that specialized in this in the rare close games they played.The Utah game confirmed the 2014 Trojans’ identity: an incredibly talented team handicapped for the most part by risk-averse coaching.This all could have been avoided after redshirt junior quarterback Cody Kessler’s brilliant third down throw to junior wide receiver Nelson Agholor on the final drive. Had the team gone for the jugular instead of bleeding the clock after that big play, the game would have been out of reach. Instead, the Trojans let Utah back in.Clearly I’m not a college football coach. Maybe if I was, I could understand the logic behind insisting on sticking to a philosophy that has produced few results this season. It’s even more confusing to me that there is ample evidence showing this Trojan team can succeed throwing it 10 to 20 yards downfield in between the hashes, including the first touchdown drive on Saturday.What reasoning is there to abandon something that is successful and go with something that clearly doesn’t work? Whatever it is, it’s the reason USC lost.Right before the USC game started, I was watching Alabama play Tennessee. Tennessee had just scored to bring the game within 10 points late in the third quarter. They had momentum on their side, and Alabama appeared as if it might wilt.Instead, the Crimson Tide took the football and marched it down the field en route to a clinching touchdown. They shut the door on the Volunteers. That’s the mark of a great team, and shutting the door  is what USC has failed to do this year. Saturday, the coaches squandered every opportunity to turn the game into a blowout.One might try to attribute this loss to having only 48 scholarship players available. That is a perfectly reasonable explanation for why the Trojans defense was worn out in the fourth quarter. Knowing this, a great coach would plan a way to put the game far out of reach before the final drive. At that point, depth issues become irrelevant.Even with little depth, lack of a killer instinct will prevent the Trojans from developing into a dominant dynasty again. Playing not to lose against good teams is the surest way to, in fact, lose. The passive approach to football just doesn’t work.In football, you are what your record is. USC is not five big plays from being undefeated — they’re just an average seven-or eight-win football team. Jake Davidson is a sophomore majoring in accounting. His column, “Davidson’s Direction,” runs Mondays.last_img read more

0

Photos: Black Queens depart for Cote d’Ivoire to defend WAFU Zone B title

first_imgThe Black Queens are on their way to Cote d’Ivoire as they look to defend their West African Football Union (WAFU) Zone B title.Mercy Tagoe-Quarcoo’s 20-woman squad includes U-17 sensation, Mukarama Abdullai and will be led by Ampem Darkoa Ladies midfielder Grace Asantewaa.The Queens won the title in February 2018, beating this year’s hosts 1-0 in the final.The Black Queens were drawn in Group A alongside Senegal, Togo and hosts Ivory Coast.Group B consists of Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Niger and MaliThe competition is scheduled to take place from 8-19 May.last_img read more