0

Jazz Fest Officially Takes Over New Orleans With Performances From TAB, Dumpstaphunk, & More [Photos]

first_imgNew Orleans is currently under musical attack. With Jazz Fest happening over the next two weekends, the city is transforming into an entirely different world, where creatures of the night stay out all hours, hopping from venue to venue in search of nonstop music after a day at the fairgrounds. With countless superjams, unexpected sit-ins and collaborations, and no rules or expectations of conformity, Jazz Fest, from beginning to end, is its own animal.The Official L4LM Guide To Jazz Fest After DarkAcross six stages, five tents, and endless parades, the world’s greatest gumbo is served by some of the most influential musicians of our time at the annual Jazz Fest during the day. Perhaps it is the exceptionally diverse range in talent, or the endless rows of tents with the city’s best cuisine, but there’s something in the air that keeps fans coming back every year for more.This year’s Friday headliners included Trey Anastasio Band, NAS with the Soul Rebels, Aaron Neville, Harry Connick Jr., and Astral Project, with earlier performances from Leon Bridges, Kermit Ruffins & the Barbeque Swingers, and so many more. Enjoy the photo images in the gallery below from Marc Millman and Jeremy Scott.After the festival, the flood gates officially opened for all late-night activity to follow. The madness ensued with performances from JJ Grey and Nathaniel Rateliff at the Sugar Mill, Dumpstaphunk and The Motet’s Mixtape 1979 at the Howlin’ Wolf, Preservation Jazz Hall Band, Gov’t Mule and Soulive at the Saenger, and moe. and Turkuaz at the Civic Theatre.Photographer Jeremy Scott followed the music throughout the city and have the following images to share with those sitting at home with an aggressive case of FOMO. Photo: Marc Millman Load remaining imagescenter_img Load remaining imageslast_img read more

0

Student Senate approves secretary, discusses residential life

first_imgThe Senate met Wednesday evening to approve sophomore Mae Raab as the new Student Union secretary for the remainder of the 2015-2016 school year and discuss recent announcements regarding housing changes.Student body president Bryan Ricketts nominated Raab for the position, citing her commitments to the Green Dot initiative and to fostering a “a safe and inclusive campus for all,” as a valuable addition to the administration. Raab will take the place of former secretary, sophomore Sibonay Shewit, who replaced senior Daniel Selhorst as student body chief of staff.“Mae’s communications will be an asset as she crafts the minutes for our various committees, but more importantly, she is in it for the team and values the interpersonal relationships that she is able to build wherever she goes,” Ricketts read from his letter, addressing the Senate.“I trust she will ably lend her skills to catalyze change on behalf of the student body,” Ricketts said.Raab previously served on the residential life and gender issues committees, where her efforts aided in the completion of Dorm Week and the It’s On Us campaign launch.Following the approval of Raab’s nomination, sophomore Rebecca Blais, director of internal affairs, resigned from her position, stating that her goals for the semester come into conflict with a stipulation of the Student Union Constitution that states, “Election Committee members may not campaign for any ticket while holding this position.”In a statement, Blais said, “One of the duties of Director of Internal Affairs is to serve as a non-voting member of the Election Committee; therefore, in respect of the duties of my position and the Constitution of the Undergraduate Student Body, I am formally resigning my position on Cabinet in order to pursue a position in the next term of Student Government.”Members of Senate proceeded to successfully vote on closing the previous semester’s discussion of Diversity Council leadership in order to move forward with other agenda items. The Diversity Council leadership had chosen not to attend the Senate meeting, according to Nidia Ruelas, student body vice president.“We will be talking to Diversity Council about moving forward, … talking and working through issues, in terms of discussion about what it means to be in leadership and the kinds of responsibilities that exist,” Ruelas said.The Senate proceeded to discuss recent announcements about future adjustments to housing, exchanging questions and giving feedback. Zahm House senator and sophomore John Julien addressed the rumors of removing common rooms from five-man rooms, which are often used as spaces for social gatherings, in order to accommodate overcrowding.Julien and sophomore Wilson Barrett, the Keenan Hall senator, raised concerns about the impacts such actions would have on tight-knit dorm communities. Others expressed worries about effectively targeting overcrowding in dorms and the lack of transparency in the announcement of the temporary dorm movements.Pangborn Hall is currently planning an open house for the residents of Walsh Hall, Badin Hall, and Morrissey Manor, according to Pangborn Hall Senator and sophomore Taylor Still.Tags: Bryan Ricketts, Nidia Ruelas, student senatelast_img read more

0

Edin Dzeko highlights the threat posed by Republic of Ireland ahead of play-off

first_img “I know almost all the Irish players – they all play in England in the best league in the world and they are there because they have their individual qualities, they are good players. “Even if some of them are missing, they are a good team which will definitely never give up, I know that. “They will be two very interesting games because we want to go to the Euros, they want to be there as well, so it will be interesting to watch. “[It would be] the first time to go to the Euros. We achieved to go to the World Cup in Brazil and that was our first big competition, and now we want to go to the Euros as well.” The game will be played at the 11,800-capacity Bilino Polje Stadium, where a hostile reception for the visitors is assured. Dzeko said: “This place is something special for us, something that gives us even more power to give everything we can. “We love this place – we have won so many games here and hopefully we can do the same tomorrow.” Ireland face Dzeko’s men in Zenica on Friday evening in the first leg of their Euro 2016 play-off with a trip to France next summer awaiting the victors. They will do so without vastly-experienced keeper Shay Given and Shane Long, the match-winner against the Germans through injury and central defender John O’Shea and striker Jonathan Walters through suspension. Press Association However, Manchester City striker Dzeko, who is currently on loan at Roma, insists they will still be a threat to his country’s hopes of making the European Championship finals for the first time. He said: “Maybe some of their most important players are not playing in the first game, so it’s a big problem for them, but they have other good players who can jump in, so I don’t think it’s a big advantage for us. “They have some important players, some experienced players, who can bring something different to the team – like they did against Germany, because it’s not easy doing it against them. “If you win, you must be a good team.” Bosnia skipper Dzeko is well placed to assess the dangers in the Ireland squad having come up against most of Martin O’Neill’s players during his time in the Barclays Premier League. O’Neill was delighted to have been drawn to play away in the first leg, although his selection problems have eaten into that perceived advantage, although Dzeko believes not significantly. Asked if the Bosnians are favourites to progress, he said: “No, I think it’s 50-50. “It doesn’t matter that some of our players are playing in the Champions League because Ireland have players with a lot of experience who have already played in big games. Edin Dzeko has warned Bosnia & Herzegovina to beware the Republic of Ireland after their shock victory over world champions Germany. last_img read more